Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog. Since this is my first blog entry I thought I would tell you a little about me. My name is Gabby. I'm a 29 *shivers* year old stay at home mother and wife. I have been married for 8 1/2 years to my wonderful husband Skip. We have 4 amazing little boys named Will, Nikolas, Owen, and Grayson. They are 6, 5, 3 1/2, and 2. Needless to say they keep us quite busy.

I will be going back to school in March. I'm going to get my BA in Applied Psychology. This is a big step for me. I've wanted to go back to school for a while. I was actually a Biology major when I was younger at Christopher Newport University in Newport News, VA. I got married early and we had our first son. Then we had to move out of the area for my husband's job. That resulted in an unfinished degree. I'm very excited to get started again. It's going to be a long and hard journey but I'm up for it.

In my spare time *laughs* I love to make jewelry. I have so many beads, gemstones, and crystals that am running out of room. I started making jewelry after I kept searching ebay for jewelry. I realized that I could make it myself. So, I went to JoAnn (the craft store) and I bought myself a book to teach me the basics. I ordered a starter kit from ebay and then it all took off from there.

In my mind from the beginning I thought I would want to sell the jewelry but was afraid to do so. What if my items weren't pretty? What if people just didn't like it when they got it? What if it broke? But then my husband asked me what I was going to do with all the jewelry. He suggested selling it. Because of his suggestion I went for it. I opened up my Etsy shop. It's still new and I'm still working hard to get my name out there. I'm enjoying it immensely. It's so nice to be able to share it with everyone.

Now you know a little bit about me. I hope you come back to visit often. I'm going to provide tutorials, show off some of my jewelry, spotlight other Etsians and crafters, and so much more!

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about being afraid to begin selling jewelry, I put it off for years because I was plagued with fears that I wasn't good enough, or that no one would like it, no matter how much encouragement I had from those around me. It took a cross-country move (for my husband-to-be's job), the loss of my full time job, and the wholehearted support of my SO to push me to start on Etsy, and I'm so happy I did. I've had a great response, it's deeply gratifying, and it's more fulfilling than my day jobs have ever been (here's hoping someday it's as lucrative!). Best of luck to you as you manage a family and school and a new business, I'll be rooting for you! And now I'm going to go check out your Etsy shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sarah. It's nice to know that there are others out there who have experienced what I am experiencing now. I checked out your Etsy shop. It's great. I remember seeing it over on Link Referral. Your work is great. I hope you continue to have the success you have had so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your jewelry is beautiful. Many times when you do what you love, therein lies your success. But I know that taking that first step is often scary. So good luck to you, fellow New Jersian.

    ReplyDelete